Monday, March 14, 2005

Tartan Shorts 7

Website of the week: March Madness has begun here in the States and all over the country this morning, workers will be spending inordinate amounts of company time trawling through sporting statistics and making their predictions on who will become the best college basketball team in the country.

64 teams have made it through to the playoffs and my friend Brian in Illinois has his own purpose built website to allow you to play, regardless of your level of basketball knowledge. Full instructions are contained at the link below but please follow them carefully because Brian is of Italian descent and has connections with The Sopranos.

http://hoops.duey.com/

Golf shot of the week: The 40-foot birdie putt I rolled in on the first hole of my first round of golf of the year. Pity the other 80+ shots weren’t as good.

Fallen hero of the week: Darius Rucker, lead singer of Hootie & The Blowfish, dressed in a frilly cowboy suit singing about Tendercrisp Bacon Cheddar Ranch sandwiches in a Burger King commercial. Oh dear.

Humiliation of the week: Losing my dollars, shirt and dignity at Texas Hold ‘Em poker to my Dad, sister, brothers and two boys aged 12 & 9.

Song (and video!) of the week: “Stacy’s Mom” by Fountains of Wayne. A fascinating and educational glimpse behind the iron curtain existence of Desperate Housewives America… or an au pair’s dream? I think Shakespeare said it best… “hubba, hubba!”

Birthday of the week: There's a girl I know in Scotland, a good friend, who is one of the smartest people I've ever met. She's funny, artistic, creative and articulate and every time I see her she teaches me something new. She has the singing voice of an angel and is learning the piano at the moment to complement it. I have many happy memories of her but two in particular stand out...

(i) when she leant over once, unprompted, to give me a hug and a kiss as I was reading a book.
(ii) when she stood the longest waving me off before I left on my round the world trip.

...and today she's four years old; so I just want to say happy birthday Megan Thompson, I'll see you soon and I hope you’ve finished composing that concerto by the time I get home.

6 Comments:

At 14/3/05 8:34 am, Blogger Unknown said...

That's my daughter that is....
Also I do not want to shatter the illusion but the "spontaneous" cuddle I had to pay her to do and I glued her feet to the floor before yout round the world trip. Actually that's not true but it was ME that waved the longest!!!!
That is selective memory young Edge. I feel rejected and alone right now. Where are my tissues... *sob*

 
At 14/3/05 2:41 pm, Blogger Neil said...

Do not shed a tear Russell, for I like it when YOU give me cuddles too.

 
At 15/3/05 4:40 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Cheers,
feel better now and no longer the shunned one

 
At 15/3/05 6:18 pm, Blogger Donald said...

Neil,
Glad to see you stirring it up again & also that it's been resolved by a cuddlefest - something my teenage daughters would find "total embarrassing" , with their parents at least.

Hope you lost at poker with your usual good grace - are you still sulking?

Finally, good to see you boasting about your modest sporting achievements.

DC

ps .... what exactly is wrong with wearing a frilly cowboy outfit?

 
At 15/3/05 9:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neil, Meg sends her thanks for the fantastic t-shirt. She loves it. I loved your birthday message. It nearly made me cry. Katie x

 
At 16/3/05 1:38 am, Blogger Neil said...

Russell - a big hug (and perhaps a bonus grope) is less than a fortnight away!!

DC - I sulked for 24 hours till I won all my money back and more the next night. Incidentally, I thought I struck the right balance between humility and brazen arrogance with my sporting 'achievements'.

Katie - Glad to hear the present was a hit. You too will get a hug soon - no groping though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home