Monday, March 19, 2007

What?!? No Boring Sting Story?

If you’ve dropped by this way because it’s a Monday in March and you’re expecting to read another of those why-The-Police-are-the-greatest-band-in-the-world-and-here’s-another-example-of-my-stalker-like-devotion-to-them pieces, then I’m sorry to disappoint you but I just haven’t had the time to look out all the long lens photos I took of Sting and his family during the 80s. If you’ve dropped by here for another reason – or purely by chance –then I’m not. Sorry, that is. To compensate, I was going to just keep things simple and relay a joke someone sent me on Friday. But then I endured a rather disturbing incident on Saturday which left me shaken so trivial things suddenly seemed unimportant.

Then I received this email on Sunday which seemed a far more worthy thing to tell you about. It’s from the clever guy who put together the blog book for Comic Relief which I was banging on about on Friday. As we speak, the book is raising vital funds to ensure that Davina McCall and Ant & Dec have continued opportunities to cry on camera at the plight of those less fortunate than themselves. Like The Crankies. And Bob Carolgees. (Jeez, I just googled Bob and it appears he and Spit the Dog are in the candle-sellin’ business these days. Not the same as spending Saturday mornings with Sally James, eh guys?)

Hi,

Following some gentle prodding
(I have a mental image of the internet wielding a deadly electrical device designed for the restraint of velociraptors), I have decided to assemble a signed copy of “Shaggy Blog Stories”. This will be auctioned on eBay with all proceeds going to Comic Relief.

As one of our 101 esteemed contributors, you are invited to sign your name on a sticky label or other suitably adhesive surface
(I’m gonna use bubble gum!), and post it to me. I shall then place your sticker as close as I can get to your piece in the book, without actually obscuring your text.

Hoping you can oblige, think of the children, etc. etc.

Cheers, Mike

(Total copies sold by Sunday evening: 340. Total profit to date, including Lulu.con’s waived commission and 28% gift aid: £1,577.60. Not bad, huh?)


So there you go. If you’re not feeling flush enough to bid for the signed copy of the book, you can still acquire it at a very reasonable price by clicking on these red words that are underlined and then just sign all the names yourself. Think of the children... And Davina.

And finally, I’m not usually one for posting warnings about potential scams but, as I alluded to earlier, I had a close miss on Saturday. I walked into B&Q (think Home Depot if you’re in the States) and some old guy dressed in orange asked me if I wanted decking. Fortunately, I got the first punch in and that was the end of that. Those less suspecting might not be so lucky.

6 Comments:

At 19/3/07 9:56 am, Blogger Donald said...

Soaps,

Good God man - what the hell were YOU doing at B&Q, on a Saturday, no less!!

That stuff's for grown-ups!

Did you enjoy Falkirk/Celtic on Sunday?

DC

 
At 19/3/07 4:27 pm, Blogger Helena said...

I missed the episode of Vicar Of Dibley with Sting in it on Friday night. How did it go?

 
At 20/3/07 3:46 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thought you said "Neil writes the blog"?

www.theherald.co.uk/features/diary/display.var.1270723.0.0.php

(2nd last para... and not yet mastered hyperlinks)

 
At 20/3/07 8:04 am, Blogger Neil said...

Donald - It was a joke. As Michele has kindly pointed out. And I'm very happy for all the Falkirk fans.

Lena - It was b#llocks. Typical Richard Curtis-contrived rubbish.

Michele - 'Traditional' media are always one step behind.

 
At 21/3/07 8:57 am, Blogger Donald said...

" Hey Surlan' , you're goanie get decked!"

How's the therapy going?

DC

 
At 21/3/07 3:38 pm, Blogger Helena said...

Hmmmm - I wondered why you were being so quiet about it! Don't feel so bad about going out Friday night now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home