Friday, March 02, 2007

Something For The Weekend 8

Hey Dave. Remember that time in Myrtle Beach when you went to bed with a great big smile on your face ‘cause you’d experienced something wonderful for the very first time? To be clear, I’m NOT referring to the first occasion you crept into my room to watch me sleeping and no doubt allowed your stubby little fingers to caress my baby soft face before stealing my moisturiser.

No, I’m talking, of course, about the journey in the van surrounded by your older and wiser golfing buddies who took you under their collective cultural wing and schooled you in the ways of, amongst others, Al Green, Frank Sinatra, Hipsway and Reo Speedwagon. (That last one was just Bruce.)

Well today’s lesson is a bit like that. Ever since The Police played at - or rather, rocked the f#cking socks off – The Grammys a couple of weeks ago, my entire cultural universe has focussed on reacquainting myself with their entire back catalogue and I’ve spent many a happy morning stuck in rush hour traffic singing “Don’t Stand So Close To Me You F#cking BMW Drivers” whilst flicking them the vicky-v’s.

Now I realise that when the The Police were at the height of their powers you were just a dainty little toddler dressed up in a frilly pink dress ‘cause your parents really wanted a girl, but that’s no excuse not to bring your musical education up to date. However I beg you not to just cop out (ba-bom, tsshh!) and buy one of the fifty-three Greatest Hits compilations available for them.

A lot of their best songs were never singles and you’ll gain so much more from seeking out all five of the original albums and checking out the evolving styles, range of influences, maturity of the songwriting, and all that other b#llocks that journalists in Q magazine like to talk about.

I could go on and on and on and on and then on some more about how good this band were/are and how big a geek I was/am about them… in fact… I think I will. Starting next week, Mondays in March are hereby set aside to divulge (and exhibit) more Police trivia for your ongoing education. Come back then if you’d be so kind… ‘cause I can’t, I can’t, I can’t, I can’t stand losing you. And if you don't want to fork out £7 on Amazon for each remastered album, let me know and I'll make you copies.

07:32 Update: For a limited time, you may be able to download copies of all the albums FREE by clicking on these blue words that are underlined.

5 Comments:

At 2/3/07 1:06 am, Blogger Kell said...

I'm ashamed to admit that I don't have the first two. But I'll be checking in on Mondays for the trivia.

 
At 2/3/07 7:37 am, Blogger Neil said...

Oh Kell, the first two are the BEST. Raw, punky, unrestrained by glossy production.... check the update above to see how you might be able to download them to that gorgeous red iPod thingy of yours.

 
At 2/3/07 10:22 am, Blogger Lesley said...

Just so long as they haven't been remastered to include lute solos.

PS. The link tells me I have to be in the US.

 
At 2/3/07 3:08 pm, Blogger Helena said...

I went into labour with my daughter during 'Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic!' blaring out from the radio but sadly my partner wouldn't let me name her Stingetta!

Bless you, Neil. You're always offering to make album copies for everyone. Thank goodness it's for decent tunes (usually!).

 
At 3/3/07 1:20 pm, Blogger Peggy said...

Al Green - Good call! Going to go put on his greatest hits right now. Perfect for saturday afternoon pottering about the place.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home