Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Too Tired To Two-Step

Man… I am so, like, totally jetlagged today that I can barely summon up the energy to lift the CDs I bought in Texas and file them properly in alphabetical order. I mean… they’re just LYING there, wantonly scattered round the living room in any old random fashion and could easily be misplaced or stuffed in the washing machine with my golf shirts at the drop of a Stetson. Insane, I know. (In case you’re reading this Donald, I picked up the new Johnny Cougar and Lucinda Williams, amongst others.)

So… Austin was like so totally awesome. Dude. There’re a million stories of great golf, exotic relatives, old friends, Mexican martinis, breakfast tacos, smokin’ barbeque, rockin’ music, quality two-steppin’ and the coolest little wedding y’all ever did see featuring my wee brother Keith and his beautiful bride Kathryn. My ancient little camera doesn’t really do it any justice but here are a couple of photos to give you a flavour.

This first one shows The Sutherlands (Best Man on the far left) gathered in the hotel lobby (Starbucks can be glimpsed in the far background) prior to walking eight blocks up Congress Avenue and LITERALLY stopping traffic on the way. We’re all laughing ‘cause my 85 year-old uncle (out of shot) has just yelled “Say Panties” and this is especially funny because…

a) He yells this every half hour and it’s very quaint, and…
b) At least three people in the photo aren’t wearing any. Place your bets now.


The wedding ceremony took place in a stylish downtown art gallery, the walls of which were adorned with many black and white photographs of various cultural icons. And Elton John. During the ceremony, I noticed that Lenny Kravitz’s Penis appeared to be peering over Kathryn’s shoulder as she said her vows and naturally I was concerned that this was something I should have taken care of as part of my Best Man duties. However, after checking the list of responsibilities that had been assigned to me, I was relieved to discover that “Deal With The Kravitz Vader” was not among the usual suspects of “Don’t Lose Rings Or Else”, “Be Funny Or Else” and “Don’t Mention That Time Keith Passed Out After Funny Cigarette Or Else”.

Luckily, we all saw the funny side – especially after my uncle encouraged Keith to “Say Panties” during his vows – and here you can see the happy couple having a right good laugh at the whole situation, with Kathryn indicating that Lenny is really rather less "feared Dark Lord" and a bit more "ten year-old Anakin".

3 Comments:

At 4/4/07 10:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neil
Nice little review. Surprised you didn't mention my new found golf game wearing the magic ring. Like you said - it was totally 'awesome'. Shine on. Keith (Husband)

 
At 5/4/07 3:18 pm, Blogger Helena said...

Can I hire uncle 'Say Panties' for my next wedding? He sounds fun. Can't wait for more pics!

Back home in time for the golf though, Neil? Like a true Scotsman!!

 
At 6/4/07 6:45 pm, Blogger Kell said...

Welcome home and glad it was a great trip. It sounds like a blast.

And nice to meet another Lucinda Williams fan! I worked at the University of Arkansas Press with her dad. OK, that's a bit of an exaggeration. He was the director and I was but a lowly editorial clerk. She was starting to get popular but still playing the bars on Dickson Street for fun.

You got that Texas talk down real nice. Y'all come back now, ya here?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home