Friday, June 06, 2008

Something For The Weekend 40

Dave,

Busy, busy, busy over the last couple of weeks what with playing golf and rockin’ with the greatest band in the world and finding “inner peace” on various school nights, woo hoo! In fact I’ve been home so infrequently that my magic tv box recorder thingy has somehow accumulated 42 hours of stuff for me to watch! Mind you, at least 33 hours of that is QVC’s “Gems Galore” and “Botanical Beauty” outputage so I can see my credit card taking a major hit at some point.

Culture-wise, I went to see that new “Sex And The City” movie the other day and OMG is it LONNGGG. Then I realised it’s a film about women talking so… mystery solved. It was okay I suppose although I didn’t quite buy in to Sarah Jessica Parker’s extreme over-reaction at being “jilted” at the altar. If she’d paused for even a second to let her fiancé get a word in edgewise (aye, right!) she’d have discovered that Mr Big was on his way back to the wedding ceremony and the whole film would’ve been done in half an hour. Then again, if she was thrashing him over the head with flowers for being the worst actor in the world, that I can understand.

If you hadn’t just gotten yourself engaged recently Dave and were still the young gay blade around town I remember so fondly, you could so totally score big by attending a screening. Or seven. No kidding, when the credits rolled and the lights went up, the target demographic for this film had long since devoured their Ben & Jerry’s and were already scanning the theatre, hungry for a little extra “candy” on which to gobble. Discretion (and exhaustion) prevents me from revealing more but let’s just say it’s been a while now since I’ve had to use the phrase, “Ladies, form an orderly queue.”

Elsewhere on the culture front, I’m still trying to finish a football book that Blousie gave me called “The Damned United” which is all about Brian Clough and Leeds United. I thought I’d be done with it by now in order to pass it on to you but although I’m enjoying the story, the writing style’s a bit annoying and there are far less pop-up pictures and places to paste in my Panini stickers than I expected. After that, I’ve got the new Bill Bryson book “Shakespeare” to review for Lesley and before you know it, it’ll be time to stock up on comics for my holidays.

Music-wise, I’m going through the incontinent pants like there’s no tomorrow because… OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG, OMG… it’s only TEN MORE DAYS till I go and see The Police in Manchester. I’ll try and stay composed (and dry) enough next week to give you a little more background and trivia about this 30-year obsession but I can feel a bowel movement coming on just now so I’ll just say have a great weekend Dave and catch up soon.

Cheers, Edge

1 Comments:

At 7/6/08 10:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo dude,

You went to see Sex & The City?! Why?? Lyn is going to see that next week. Thankfully I don't have to go. I want to see The Hulk. Music wise - I was actually playing the Signals greatest hits cd that you gave me today for my family. I don't know why. They come round and expect to be entertained and I panicked. My sister was impressed and she is wayyyyy young, like 25 or something so there you go - your still cool. I have also been listening to the Zutons which Blousie gave. Pretty decent. Other than that I am just playing Mario Kart on the Wii. It is awesome and I am sad! Have a good weekend too. Cheers the now

Dave

 

Post a Comment

<< Home