Friday, May 23, 2008

Something For The Weekend 39 With An Extra Long Title Just In Case We Forgot To Include A Plot

Hey Dave,

You know how I’m always going on about Gillian Anderson? And The Police? And pizza? And The Signals? And Starbucks? And Gillian Anderson? Well the seventh magnificent thing that makes my life so full and complete is the thought that a once great cinematic hero would one day return to the… um… cinema. If you only do one thing this weekend, do what Bruce and I did last night (me in row 20 and him in row 1 because of all his nasty nacho-‘n-jalapeno belching) and go see “Indiana Jones & The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull”. It’s absolutely magic.

I can’t tell you how much I wanted to be Indiana Jones when I was young (35) and although I always hoped a fourth film would be made, I have to admit I was slightly dreading the possibility that it might be complete and utter pants. But it’s not.

Inexplicably, the cinema was only about 20% full (was there something important on the telly last night?) but we all got our money’s worth. Sure, it’s a little bit too pantomimey and clever in parts but the action is great, the story’s pretty good (despite the involvement of George Lucas) and Cate Blanchett is absolutely stunning… as well as looking a lot like the cute girl in the pub last Friday who asked me to go home with her to Inverkeithing! (In case you’re wondering Dave, I declined. Not because of the whole never-venture-to-Fife-after-dark rule – although that is reason enough – but because I had a… *ahem*… very early tee time the next morning. Suave eh?)

Anyway, I won’t spoil the plot for you except to say look out for the bit in the ruined temple where they bump into Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft and some essential plot point means she has to take off all her clothes in order to slide down a narrow cavity to rescue… eh… I forget what happens after that but the cinematography was awesome. So good in fact that I’m going back to see it again tomorrow. Enjoy and have a great weekend.

Cheers, Edge

P.S. Roll on the new X-Files movie!!!

4 Comments:

At 24/5/08 9:07 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool - hope to see it this weekend. And then there is the Hulk, and Batman over June and July. So many good films!

Enjoy your long weekend dude.

Dave

 
At 26/5/08 5:51 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Neil,
come on now. Not even one word about the dodgiest of dodgy plots and awful ending?
You used to be discerning!

 
At 26/5/08 11:29 pm, Blogger Neil said...

Dave - ... and 'Kung Fu Panda'!?

ST - As I said to you on the phone the other night... "yer talkin' sh#te." Go see it again... it's even better the second time!

 
At 28/5/08 6:16 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Now Kung Fu Panda DOES look good!

"Get ready for the Thunda!!

I am going to nominate "Tropic Thunder" for the must see film this summer though...

http://www.tropicthunder.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home