Friday, February 02, 2007

Something For The Weekend 4

Dear Dave,

I’m sorry to have to inform you that I don’t really have any cultural reviews or recommendations for you this week. It had been my intention to take a trip through to Edinburgh to appraise the ‘Off The Wall’ exhibition at the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art And Some Decent Stuff Also, but then on Tuesday night I got quite involved in looking up pictures of Gillian Anderson on the internet and the next thing I knew it was Thursday. You know how it is.

I suppose I could tell you about the joys of the pub quiz I attended last night but, as I’m sure you know, I’ve mentioned this before here and since I was compèring rather than competing, I don’t really have anything fresh to say on how great it is to thrash your opponents into a bloody messy pulp.

So why don’t I just take the ultimate cop-out route and say that if you’d like to learn more about some culture then you could do a lot worse than watch The Culture Show on BBC2 tomorrow evening. Shaving your head and chewing tin foil for example… THAT would be worse.

Spunky Geordie Lauren Laverne hosts the show and last week she was in sleepy Anstruther checking out The Fence Collective; the folkie Fife musos who first discovered/included KT Tunstall. Comedy genius Christopher Guest (‘Spinal Tap’, ‘Best In Show’) also made an appearance as did 15th century Renaissance artist Leonardo DiCaprio (the Mona Lisa, ‘Titanic’) who was being interviewed about his new movie ‘Blood Diamond’.

Tomorrow night’s show features Finn Cousins lookalike Bill Bailey showcasing his music rather than his comedy. And if that wasn’t enough to keep you in and forego another fruitless night milling around the capital’s cattle markets, pop’s newest star Mika will be playing live in the studio. I’ve no idea who he/she/they is/are but I know you like him/her/them so enjoy. (Overseas persons can find information about the show online here.)

Right, it’s a beautiful day so I’m off to St. Andrews for a round of golf on God’s gorgeous links. See you tonight in the pub. Mine’s a Stella. Thanks.

Cheers, Edge

P.S. I have no morally justifiable reason for showing you yet another picture of Gillian Anderson but here’s one anyway. Lovely, isn’t it? Mmmmmmmnnnnnn…..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home