Friday, January 26, 2007

Something For The Weekend 3

So, have you had a tough week at work? Stressed out and looking for something to blow a warm summer breeze through the jasmine in your minds? Well fear not pop-pickin’ dudes ‘cause in our ongoing mission to get my pal Dave some quality culture, I have a musical recommendation this week that’s gonna blow your frickin’ minds. Man.

I really only discovered these guys a couple of weeks ago when I was flicking through my TV channels trying to avoid the onslaught of programming about how Jade and her mother are responsible for global warming as well as dragging us into an unpopular war in Iraq. By chance, I stumbled across a fascinating documentary on BBC4 called something like “California Dreaming – Jasmine Blowin’ Mind Music And All That Other Good Stuff” and the very next day I was on a mission to find the album which featured most prominently in the programme. It finally arrived from Amazon on Monday and not a moment too soon because I have been like, so totally dying with the flu this week and the beautiful, groovy music has helped soothe my ravaged body and mind. Seriously, I’ve been so ill that I even had to resort to smoking Silk Cut.

So here it is then… one of those breathtaking he-really-does-have-his-finger-on-the-pulse moments… the album in question is “Crosby, Stills & Nash” by.. um .. Crosby, Stills & Nash. No, seriously. Had you asked me about them a month ago I would’ve ventured something about hippies and Woodstock but that would’ve been it. I had no idea, for example, that David Crosby was once a member of The Byrds. Or that Graham Nash was in the Hollies. Or that he was even British. Or that Woodstock was only the second time the three of them played live together. Awesome. Dude.

Some of you (Donald particularly) might be speculating that I’ve been hitting the Lem-Sip Max Strength a little too hard this week but I’m quite sincere about this. Forget your angsty Blunts and Morrisons and Nutinis; this is a classic album of perfect songwriting, timeless acoustic guitar-playing and simply gorgeous harmonies. Track it down today (or email me and I’ll copy it for you) and then peace the f#ck out. Oh, and maximum listening pleasure can be realised whilst lying back in a large bubble bath of lavender and thyme with a nice glass of merlot in one hand and a sudoku puzzle in the other. I would imagine.

4 Comments:

At 26/1/07 9:31 am, Blogger Donald said...

Neil,

Is "This Old House" on that album.

Surely you can't approve of the album cover - I don't think the names are directly above the right blokes.I say this with some confidence as I know what David Crosby looks like.

If its perfect bath music, & both your hands are employed drinking/puzzling, how do you play with little ducky?

Right Hamish, to the Hamishmobile!!

DC

 
At 26/1/07 1:21 pm, Blogger Lesley said...

I have that album and I adore it. But for some reason I always feel a bit sheepish about listening to it on the I-Pod in public, so I turn it down a bit and let people think I'm listening to some cutting edge technowhatsit more befitting of my young age and lack of afghan coat.

 
At 27/1/07 7:21 am, Blogger Peggy said...

Their harmonies are so wonderful. I have always loved CSN even when they were Crosby Stills Nash and Young. They have always been good. The most recent album by Crosby Nash had one good track on it (my OWN non-professional opinion).

 
At 27/1/07 9:56 pm, Blogger Helena said...

That really is a blast from the past! At home as a nipper, this album of my older brother's was constantly on. Even my sweet old da ("turn that bloody rubbish doon!") could tolerate this album.

...and how DO you play with your little ducky....?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home