Wednesday, January 24, 2007

What, No Charlie Sheen?

Tuesday nights seem to be fast turning into Go To The Movies With A Close Male Friend, Who’s ‘Close’ Only In That Manly, ‘Best Bud’ Type Of Way, If You Know What I Mean Night. Last week it was ‘Apocalypto’ with the jalapeno-belching Bruce and last night I had a somewhat less pungent cinema experience when I went to see a special preview screening of ‘Bobby’ with my pal Andy.

Andy was very enthusiastic when I told him about the screening but in his excitement, he misheard my explanation of the evening and turned up in full tuxedo and black tie expecting to rub shoulders (and other body parts) with the likes of Sharon Stone and Demi Moore at a premiere. Luckily for him, I’d decided to give another outing to the slinky backless number I sported at the Golden Globes last week so he didn’t look too out of place.

Written and directed by brat-packin, breakfast-clubbin’, young-gunnin’, mighty-duckin’ Emilio Estevez, ‘Bobby’ is the story of the assassination of U.S. Senator Robert Kennedy, on June 6th, 1968, and centres around 22 people who were at the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles where he was killed. There are endless scenes of people having arguments, making up, talking about the past, looking towards the future and the film sure has a lot of things to say for itself about war, hope, peace, love, baseball and relationships with God via LSD… although what any of these things are, I’m not too sure. (War – bad, Baseball – good, presumably?)

The film just kinda drifted along and left Andy and I pretty thankful that we hadn’t had to pay to see it. Not rubbish, not outstanding but interesting from a spot-the-star perspective if nothing else.

Best Bits: Sharon Stone and Demi Moore really are excellent (and not just because one spends a fair amount of time brushing the other’s hair) as is Freddy Rodriguez – so good in ‘Six Feet Under’ – who plays kitchen hand José.

Worst Bit: A world where Pacey Witter heads up a Presidential campaign just doesn’t ring quite true.

Oh, and I don’t think I’m giving too much of the plot away (Hammy!) when I tell you that the Senator gets shot in the end.

5 Comments:

At 24/1/07 3:18 am, Blogger Kell said...

So, when you go to a movie with a guy, do you leave an empty seat between you? I asked my guy friends about that and they all say that's the "I'm not gay" seat.

 
At 24/1/07 9:58 am, Blogger Donald said...

Neil,

Stop going to see all this high-brow arthouse pish.

We need a review of "Rocky Balboa".

DC

 
At 24/1/07 10:45 am, Blogger Neil said...

Kell - No, we don't leave an empty seat between us and I have to say that I've never heard of the "I'm not gay seat" before. Mind you, might not labelling the seat in such a glaring way be a sign of someone doth protesting too much? Hmmm, interesting.

Donald - I will be settling down with my feet up this afternoon to watch 'Rocky Balboa'... in the comfort of my own living room!?!

 
At 24/1/07 2:07 pm, Blogger Helena said...

You mean your living room holds a few hundred seats and a 10m X 8m (or something like that!) widescreen telly? So how far away is your kitchen if you fancy a hot-dog?

 
At 24/1/07 6:02 pm, Blogger Neil said...

Not exactly Lena... I know a man with a market stall... if you get my drift...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home