Friday, February 04, 2005

Groundhog Day

Its Groundhog Day today here in America; the day on which the residents of Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania turn to a small, furry rodent creature with unfeasibly large front teeth, to predict the weather for the rest of winter.

The groundhog in question, Punxsutawney Phil, is around 120 years old and gets his longevity from taking a sip of a secret recipe, “groundhog punch”, every summer at the Groundhog Picnic. This magically gives him seven more years of life. (I swear I’m not making this stuff up.)

Every February 2nd at daybreak, Phil emerges from his burrow on Gobbler’s Knob (no sniggering please Russell - I'm absolutely positive I've told you about this before, haven't I?) in front of thousands of followers from all over the world to deliver his prediction.

According to legend, if he sees his shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter but if he doesn’t, there will be an early Spring. He then relays his observation to the Groundhog Club president in “groundhogese” (a language only understood by the current president of the Inner Circle) who translates the proclamation for the world.

So this morning, at approximately 7.31am Eastern Standard Time, Punxsutawney Phil spoke and the news wasn’t good. He saw his shadow, declared an extension to winter and was roundly booed by the thousands who had waited up to four hours to hear the outcome.

“Don’t shoot the messenger,” pleaded the top-hatted Club president, as the sound of triggers being cocked rattled around Gobbler’s Knob.

So there you have it. Six more weeks of those bitter and frigid, 70 degree temperatures here in Key West before the sweltering 80s and 90s take over in March.

Right, must get my day started… big breakfast, visit record store (have got a hankering for some Sonny & Cher), lie on beach or in backyard pool…

3 Comments:

At 4/2/05 6:20 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see my earlier posting was unnecessary. Tell me there's a prize or something!

K

 
At 4/2/05 9:05 pm, Blogger Neil said...

Be thankful you don't have to listen to "I Got You Babe" and "The Pennsylvania Polka" every morning. Will think of a good prize for next year!

N

 
At 14/2/05 4:36 pm, Blogger Donald said...

Soaps,

A film I was going to watch but thanks to yourgoodself, don't need to.

I got you Babe.

DC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home