Sunday, February 04, 2007

In God's Country

After seven months of relative idleness (not counting the work undertaken in the basement to get my Gillian Anderson clone into some kind of shape) I’m going back to work tomorrow – F#####CCCKKK!!! – so I’ll obviously need something to keep me calm and make me look industrious in front of a computer screen for the first few days. What better then than some soothing images I took on Friday during my first venture of the year on to a golf course. I wish I had a better camera to capture the full majesty of St. Andrews when it’s bathed in a low winter sun but these’ll have to do meantime.

This first one is the view from the 8th tee on the Jubilee Course. The narrow fairway makes it an intimidating shot, especially when you’re already three holes down to your Dad.

Taken from almost the same spot, this is the view you’ll require across the Eden Estuary if you’ve hooked your drive into the water.

This was meant to be a view looking back towards the town but you can see that my Dad and I were unexpectedly disturbed by the appearance of a rogue tripod from War of the Worlds.

Driving south out of St. Andrews, you’ll spend much of your journey home along this back road wondering where it all went wrong and how on earth you ended up paying out big bucks to your Dad. But luckily you’ll forget all about it when you suddenly round a corner and get this great view down to Elie and over the Forth towards Edinburgh and East Lothian on the other side. If you look carefully you can see the Berwick Law in the far distance; a once active volcano which was responsible for the destruction of Pompeii. Allegedly.

7 Comments:

At 5/2/07 4:10 am, Blogger Kell said...

I was in St. Andrews years ago and thought it so beautiful. The drive there from Edinburgh was pretty, too. One must pay homage when you're that close to the course. And pay something like £10 for a golf ball for your brother.

 
At 5/2/07 7:35 pm, Blogger Helena said...

If our local course had such calming surroundings I'd think about taking up golf myself. These are lovely pics Neil, there's no need for a better camera. I'm happy enough with these images. I'm actually strangely drawn to the tripod picture.

Oh, and....I hope your first day back at work went well.
Lena
x

 
At 6/2/07 1:17 am, Blogger Betty said...

I'm going to see St. Andrews next time I'm in Scotland (if I'm ever there, again)even if I have to go by myself.

 
At 6/2/07 3:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you have plenty of time for more golf and more pictures but I like to see a few golfers swinging a club.

Imagine you are an Ian Poulter lookalike but your Dad? Plus fours? Kilt?

Good luck with the job.

 
At 6/2/07 3:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops ... who else!

 
At 6/2/07 11:06 pm, Blogger Peggy said...

How was your first day at work? I hate feeling like the new kid.

Just remember about the paycheque. You'll get one of those sometime soon!

 
At 6/2/07 11:28 pm, Blogger Neil said...

The 'new kid'... that's it EXACTLY! And until I get the paycheque, I'll go on missing my lazy unemployment days... *sigh*... too tired to write much more... gotta go to b...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home