Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Gottla Geer

“So I noticed there’s no much about politics on your blog,” remarked my good friend Donald – stocky bass player of soon-to-be-reformed-rockers-The-Signals – when he dropped by for a visit last night with Hamish the Dog. “Don’t you wanna win over hearts and minds?”

“Just hearts,” I replied matter-of-factly as I reached for another Caramel Charm from my large stockpile of Cadbury’s Milk Tray.

“Ha, ha, ha, you’re dead cool Neil,” woofed Hamish, panting with excitement.

But Donald’s right; there’s absolutely nothing about politics on this blog because I find politics about as interesting as shaving my head and chewing tin foil. And that’s a lapse in judgement you don’t make twice, let me tell you.

However tomorrow, literally tens of people in Scotland will be rushing to the polls to complete incomprehensible ballot papers in an effort to elect local councillors for their area as well as more highly paid councillors to sit in the Scottish Parliament building in Edinburgh which, by the way, cost ten times more to build than the original estimate. I’m sorry, but if you can’t manage a tangible building project like that, you’re not getting extra tax-raising powers from me to pay for your taxi expenses.

One of my votes is going to Margo McDonald who, when she was young and foolish in the 70s, was a member of the Scottish National Party (SNP). Now she’s an independent with an impressive record of getting things done and always projects herself in a sensible and articulate way in the media. I’m voting for her ‘cause she smiled at me the other week when we were both sitting outside in the sun sipping coffees at Starbucks.

I can tell you that I’m definitely not voting for the SNP, not because of their policies (although that’s reason enough) but because the view from my new office is now marred by a billboard featuring their smug git of a leader who thinks he’s funny but he’s really, really not. Although I have to say I had a good laugh at this poster when I saw it up close. Is it just me or does Alex look like his right hand is up Suzi Quatro’s arse, working her like a ventriloquist’s dummy and fretting about whether his lips are moving or not? If nothing else, the two of them look like their future’s secure touring as understudies for The Krankies.

2 Comments:

At 2/5/07 2:51 am, Blogger Kell said...

You'd think someone would have noticed that about the picture. Maybe it's a subliminal message.

Late happy birthday fellow Taurean. Is that right? Taurus-sign person? Or something like that.

 
At 2/5/07 3:03 am, Blogger Betty said...

A belated Happy Birthday to you, Neil. Hope it was a great one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home