Friday, June 29, 2007

Something For The Weekend 22

Well Dave… it’s been a busy, busy week. Just yesterday, for example, I had to work until 10:00am before packing up and heading off to this gorgeous place for a bit of Corporate ‘stroking’ plus all-you-could-eat bacon rolls. It was tiring, I can tell you, but then I drove back to Edinburgh to play football in the pissing rain and in the first minute of the game, I scored a goal against Hammy when he was in goals, the first time I’ve managed such a feat in twenty odd years. Happy days.

Of course while you’re off at your sister’s graduation tomorrow wearing your wide-brimmed, pink Fedora, all the boys will be having their annual gathering and making fun of you in your absence. All the shenanigans will be captured on the greatest website in the world and it’s still not too late for any other readers to indulge in some last minute, on-line betting… which is banned in the States I think?

As for culture stuff, here’s three things to ponder.

1. I purchased and downloaded an entire album from iTunes the other day – Wilco’s excellent ‘Sky Blue Sky’ - but although the whole process was very efficient, it was all a bit lifeless and clinical. I found myself missing the cd case and the sleeve notes where I like to read about things like where the album was made – “Oooh, recorded in L.A. but mixed in New York? I wonder why that was?” – and other stuff like lyrics, special guest artists, types of cymbals used etc. Do you ever feel that way? No? Just me then…

2. To compensate, I paid a visit to old-fashioned, record retailer Virgin Music during the week and bought the new Ryan Adams album ‘Easy Tiger’. As a lazy musical journalist might say, it’s a refreshing return to form after his disturbing, record-and-release-any-old-pish era over the past few years. It doesn’t quite hit the heights of ‘Gold’ and ‘Heartbreaker’ (both of which, incidentally, came out top in a recent survey I conducted in my head about favourite albums to listen to on my wee iPod Shuffle) but it’s a step in the right direction.

3. You know how you’re always saying we don’t do things as a couple anymore? Well, untwist your knickers and scrub up pretty because this week I won free tickets to see the new Harry Potter film when it opens on July 13th and you’re very welcome to take up my spare ticket and join me if you like? If so, you know what to do… If not, I’m gonna have to find a girl to go with because no way am I taking Bruce with his nacho breath and his incessant questions… “Who’s Voldemort? Are those REAL broomsticks? Can I go pee pee again?

Right, I’m off to Belfast in 8 hours so I’d better get some sleep.

Cheers, Edge

4 Comments:

At 29/6/07 6:44 pm, Blogger Kell said...

1. No, you're not the only one. Sometimes they include the sleeve with the download, but who wants to read that on a computer? I just bought Linkin Park's new CD, and it's nice to read the liner notes again.

2. Who's Ryan Adams?

3. Free tickets to Harry Potter?!? Damn. I'm trying to decide how long I can put it off so that I don't have to watch it with hundreds of teenage girls who are drooling over Daniel Radcliffe while I wait patiently for Jason Isaacs to appear on screen. OK, probably too much information there, but still, I can't wait to see the movie.

Have fun in Belfast.

 
At 29/6/07 7:52 pm, Blogger Neil said...

WHO's Ryan Adams??? Oh Kell, you don't know what you're missing. Check the site below and definitely get your hands on his album 'Gold'.

www.myspace.com/ryanadams

 
At 1/7/07 1:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, hope yesterday was good. And well done Big Rab - I knew you were a good bet! I have both the Wilco and Ryan Adams albums and agree that they are decent. Am anjoying the Interpol and Editors albums at the moment. My thanks to Blousie as always! I know we don't do things together as often as we used to - it's not you, it's me - but a trip to Harry Potter does not appeal to me. I have never seen any of the films or read the books and am happy to keep it that way. Watched Hot Fuzz which is decent if you have yet to see it. Not seen Fantastic 4 yet if you really want to take me out....!

Cheers Dave

 
At 3/7/07 7:24 am, Blogger Neil said...

Dude, I'm gutted by your rejection... yer chucked!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home