Monday, July 30, 2007

Click Here To See.. Eh.. No, Never Mind..

I’ve lost count of the vast number of people – it’s at least 5 or 6 – who’ve sent me text messages and emails in the last couple of days asking for a review of Friday night’s charity gig featuring the first performance in eight years by The Signals. It was my sincere hope to be able to direct you to an appropriate place on the interweb to view a high-definition, digital video of the whole performance to see just how f#cking rockin’ we were (because WE WERE) but alas, therein lies a sad tale.

After their daughter was born, my pal Bruce and his wife Linda bought themselves a fancy digital camera and I went to great trouble on Friday afternoon to wrestle it out of his desperate, clawing grasp…

“…b.. b.. but she might start walking this weekend!”

“SO…? My band hasnae played in eight years. Besides, she’ll still be walking next weekend.”

… in order to film the band. As luck would have it, some other friends were coming to the gig including Fergie, Chomp, Mrs Chomp, Miss Chomp, Poochie (i.e. young Dave who I write to every Friday) and He Who Shall Not Be Named. As a result of some extensive “home projects”, He Who Shall Not Be Named has thousands of hours of experience behind a camera lens so naturally I selected him as a “safe pair of hands” to capture the band in all their rockin’ majesty. After successfully filming us mounting the stage (you just knew he’d get THAT bit right) he decided that the camera wasn’t switched on and proceeded to stand and “film” us for the next 40 minutes with the ‘Pause’ button on… *cue whispering tumbleweed*

It’s a shame really ‘cause as much as anyone else, I’m very keen to see and hear what the audience experiences. I know it’s not a very objective opinion but from where I was standing I thought we sounded great. Forty minutes went by in a flash and although there were a few bum notes, as well as some *cough* creative licence with the lyrics, the songs seemed to go down well with the crowd.

The main thing is that a lot of money was raised on the night for the Kids Cancer Charity (congratulations to you Lena for that) and a lot of teenagers got very drunk. And you can’t get much more rock ‘n roll than that. Incidentally, if you’re wondering why Lena, the event organiser, hasn’t written anything about it yet, she told me on Friday that her computer’s packed up.

For those who like such things, here are the songs we played on Friday night.

Ballroom Of Romance* - The Signals
Ten Cents A Dance – The Signals
Not Such A Lonely Place – The Signals
Need Your Love So Bad – an old blues song as sung by Fleetwood Mac
I Can’t Make It Alone – on old Carole King song as sung by Maria McKee
Days To Come* - The Signals
Goodbye Girl – Squeeze

*Available to download at www.myspace.com/thesignals83

9 Comments:

At 31/7/07 6:58 pm, Blogger Donald said...

!!!!!!!!!

 
At 31/7/07 7:08 pm, Blogger Donald said...

I'm not sure how - but I've managed to sort out this darn silly blogger password bullshirt malarky.It may be short lived though.
I must say that I thought The Signals were fantastic and certainly know how to rock the house, dude.

I was speaking to their excellent giutarist Bill Hay , who told me that one of the great lessons he learnt fairly earlier in his rock & roll adventures was from the great Sir Davie Waugh, who offered the following advice after the band had successfully cleared the venue:

" Light and shade lads, move as a unit, and make sure the vocals can be heard"

I'll tell you this, ( for free).HE WASN'T WRONG.I'm told that the audience thought along similar line , AND, the bass wasn't too loud.

Rock on!!

DC

 
At 31/7/07 7:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the slightly stocky, but perfectly formed, bassman was like way totally total the shish. And no mistake.

I particularly liked his rock&roll, hardcore to the max, red shoes. They in a subtle way complimented his guitar.

 
At 31/7/07 8:00 pm, Blogger Helena said...

Neil - I have to confirm that The Signals DID get the biggest cheer of the night and the ONLY band to be asked for an encore! Gave the young 'uns a run for their ticket money that's for sure!

I can't believe your performance didn't make it to film for Ross said that you did a huge stage jump at the very end and I missed it!

CLIC Sargent want to do a cheque exchange pic for the Falkirk Herald to highlight the event so I'm sorting that out with them now!Any band members involved in the fundraising is welcome for interview and pics too, but I'll email you about that soon.

The Signals were fabulous, Neil. The show wouldn't have been the same without you! Same time (but bigger venue!) next year...?

 
At 31/7/07 8:59 pm, Blogger Helena said...

Forgot to add that I agree with Donald. The balance from The Signals' performance on bass and vocal WAS spot on! It was clear and clean with just the right amount of bass.

What them young 'uns has still to learn - eh?

 
At 1/8/07 9:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What can I say? But err... sorry.
In mitigation I did warn you beforehand that I didnt want to get anywhere near that video camera and as a result didnt pay any attention to your 10 second "indepth" training. With the result it was Pooch who pressed buttons telling me the thing was on.

 
At 2/8/07 6:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, this is a non-blame culture! And anyway, it is ultimately Fergie's / Chomper's fault for leaving me and He Who Shall Not Be Named in charge.

Pooch

 
At 3/8/07 9:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmm bass

 
At 3/8/07 9:30 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done to The Signals!

Neil "Soapy" Sutherland

Douglas "DC" Campbell

Ronnie "Doug" Grant

AND ...

Bill "Bill" Hay!!

Enjoyed the show. Hope you consider doing more. Glasgow would be good - saw you years ago at Shadows - but I'd be willing to travel.

H

 

Post a Comment

<< Home