Friday, January 11, 2008

Something For The Weekend 35

Dear Dave,

How are you mate? Happy New Year… although how much does January suck?!?

Do you realise that it’s a year to the day (almost) since we started this insightful “Something For The…” feature after you accosted me in the pub demanding that I enrich your world with recommendations of a cultural nature, although I think your exact words were something like “Oi Edge... hic... gonnae writing do more by the way an’ aw tha’…” (If you want to check what was really said, you can click on your little pink name at the top of the page.)

Back in January ‘07, I was drifting through life wondering how much time I might have squandered on trivial things, how many opportunities I might have missed and not having an earthly clue about what I wanted to do or where I was going, but things have certainly changed since then. Now it’s 2008.

I’d love to tell you that I’ve planned an exciting weekend of museum visits and pizza sampling but I’m expecting a “package” to arrive from our “mutual friend” through the post tomorrow filled with some “creatively-acquired” dvd and cd outputage, so I think I might well be remaining ensconced in my pyjamas for the duration. Besides, I’ve got some serious guitar-pickin’ to practice since it’s only four short weeks now until The Signals make their “triumphant hometown return”, revisiting a pub called Behind The Wall on February 8th in our old home town of Falkirk. Triumphantly.

I’ll obviously be writing more nearer the time about what some pundits* are already calling “the gig of the decade” with behind the scenes snippets such as rehearsal gossip, tour dietary requirements and what the band might be wearing on the night. I don’t want to say too much just now but I can reveal than one band member** who plays the bass is considering the risqué ensemble of “gay Elvis t-shirt” and “pork-pie hat”. Let’s just hope he remembers trousers also.

And here’s an exclusive eavesdrop of sorts into the decadent shenanigans that the band get up to during rehearsals, pushing excesses to the limit and living every day like it might be their last. Yes, your eyes do not deceive you… that really is the entire rhythm section eating a hearty broth of winter vegetables WHILST IT’S STILL BOILING HOT! Rock ‘n roll!

So have a pleasant weekend Dave, avoid the inclement weather, cuddle up to someone close if you’re one of the lucky ones and I’ll catch up with you again soon.

Cheers, Edge

*Members of our family mainly.
**Not me!

2 Comments:

At 11/1/08 10:43 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Edge,

Good to hear from you - all the best for 2008. I had a fairly quiet time but enjoyable none the less. Should catch up with you on the 25th for a beer or 2. Almost a year of Dear Dave's eh? I feel my life is all the richer for your sound advice and guidance. I've seen plenty of films of late - even some at the cinema - though most provided by our good friend. Enjoyed I Am Legend. Got plenty of ours to watch. Looking forward to loads of films this year - batman, hulk, iron man etc. I've still not grown up! That's great the Signals have a gig lined up. I'll pencil the date in my dairy and hopefully a few of the guys will be up for the gig of the year. Cheers the now dude. See you soon,

Dave

 
At 12/1/08 2:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

phew - for a minute there I thought I was going to be "outed".

Just to turn the Rock 'n' roll factor way past 11 , not only was there really hot soup involved but also ( really hot) tea, rolls,crisps AND an Empire Biscuit!!!!

Yours in Rock,

Warmest regards,

DC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home