Friday, November 16, 2007

Something For The Weekend 32

Dear Dave,

How are you? Long time no see / speak / type / hug. What have you been doing lately? Are you all growed up yet? Started shaving? Still in short trousers?

Sorry I haven’t been in touch much. Life goes by pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look round once in a while, you could miss it. No, wait… that’s Ferris Bueller.

As for me, well I won’t bore you with the details of why I haven’t had the urge to write much so let’s concentrate instead on some things you could be doing this weekend.

I guess you’ll be getting all excited about the big Scotland v Italy game tomorrow and no doubt feeling some anxiety as to whether you’ll be asked for proof-of-age if you try and get into a public house to watch it with the rest of the boys. Alas, I won’t be able to join you all for a few drinks because unfortunately I’ve managed to get hold of a ticket for the game so will be at Hampden in person to witness our glorious victory. Probably.

Afterwards, if you’re thinking of taking your lovely lady to the movies, I’ve seen a few new films lately which might be of interest.

Bruce and I went to see “Run Fat Boy Run” but spent the whole time holding our stomachs in so the humour kinda passed us by. We also caught the latest Michael Moore documentary “Sicko” having previously seen his earlier efforts “Bowling For Columbine” (excellent - fascinating and riveting) and “Fahrenheit 90210” (average – not enough Tori Spelling). “Sicko” examines the current state of the health care industry in America and it was interesting, if not exactly cheerful, but it made me a bit scared of ever returning to the States in case I catch a cold and have to remortgage my house to get a prescription.

I’ve also seen “Superbad” – not as funny as it should’ve been – and “Eastern Promises” which was short on humour but packed full of graphic detail about how to kill someone with a knife. If you like that sort of thing.

Music-wise, the whole Police-gig-cancellation-fiasco must have left me mentally scarred because I’ve barely listened to anything recently despite acquiring some new cds from Amazon. But here’s one musical event to “get on your radar”… as they like to say all too often in the most boring of work meetings.

On Monday night, November 19th, The Signals - “greatest pub rock ‘n roll band ever” – are scheduled to play a short set in a bar called Bannermans in Edinburgh. It’s located down in the Cowgate under one of those spooky bridges where the Burke & Hare bodies are buried and we’re due “on stage” sometime after 9.30pm. There are a couple of other bands playing as well so I think you have to pay to get in. I’ve no idea what it’ll be like – although some of the videos on their myspace site are a bit scary-looking – but tell everyone you know if you get a chance.

Have a great weekend and catch up soon. Till next time.

Cheers, Edge

4 Comments:

At 16/11/07 2:01 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's more like it, Fridays just weren't the same without you...

 
At 16/11/07 2:39 pm, Blogger Peggy said...

See? You can do it. Now, was writing that blog entry so hard?

 
At 16/11/07 3:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Edge,

Yeah, long time no see. Cheers for the update - some good recommendations in there. I've not seen any of those films. That's cool you have a gig on Monday. Crappy night for a gig but I'll try and get there and will see if any of the usual suspects are up for it. Music wise I have reverted to my extreme metal days and find myself listening to Battles, Dillinger Escape Plan and Serj Tankain. I do not expect to hear any covers of this music on Monday. Incidentally, I am going to see my mates band SwimmerOne on Thursday - they are playing at the Voodoo Lounge. They have a new cd out which is good. Check them out and if you fancy it, give me a shout.

Rock on

Dave

 
At 16/11/07 7:11 pm, Blogger Helena said...

I knew ol' Dave would get you tinkering with those fingers again!

Trust you to make an announcement at such short notice! Can't make it Monday but keep any of Doug's mopped-brow hankies for me - won't you? Guess Februrary isn't that far off......*tut*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home