Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Other American Stuff...

Hmmm… I’m not really finding much amusing stuff to tell you about at the moment am I? And life is too short to write/read about some of the other stuff that’s going on. So why not look at some pictures instead since I’ve finally got round to seeing how many photos I took in the States recently. The answer is ‘not many’, what with all the napping and what not.

These first two show where I stayed when I was in Connecticut; the house of my brother Keith and his lovely wife Kathryn. Check out the cool Lone Star at the front (I bought that!) and the “outside room” round the back. Adds twenty grand to the value of the property apparently.

Here’s me and R2D2 hanging out in some desolate planetary outpost riddled with space bandits and thieves and smugglers… or “Queens”, as it’s known to New Yorkers. We were on our way to see some US Open tennis (that’s the Arthur Ashe stadium in the background) but the wee man’s journey was short lived when he couldn’t get up the stairs to that elevated walkway. Man, I’ve never heard such awful beepin’ language from a droid before.


Here’s the view from our seats in the aforementioned Arthur Ashe stadium, mentioned previously. We saw that Belgian girl – Poirot? – thrash somebody and then saw some eastern European guy with an unpronounceable name thrash some other eastern European guy with an unpronounceable name. I think he made it to the final. Great night.


For many, many reasons I love minor league baseball… Bull Durham, Susan Sarandon, cheap beer… This is the home of the Bridgeport Pirates on a beautiful summer’s evening; a half-filled stadium where it was $1 hot dog night (“I’ll take ten please.”) and after every innings a bunch of free stuff would get thrown into the crowd. Magic.


Here’s my wee brother Keith checking out the ladies tee on the 9th hole of this course because I think he was getting beaten at the time and was looking for an easier tee shot. Ho, ho, ho…


And finally, here’s where The Signals played a secret, one-off gig in advance of our US tour next year.

4 Comments:

At 29/9/07 4:33 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neil
Thank you for the lovely pictures (I'll be sure to use them when we sell the house.)

Your point on the ninth tee is well taken, but if memory serves me right we all hit soaring three and four irons to the green to within birdie range. Who holed the putt and who three putted is another matter. Hey ho - fall is here and the leaves are falling. Shine on.
Your wee brother

 
At 1/10/07 4:50 am, Blogger Kell said...

Cute house! People will be disappointed in our lack of an outside room when we sell. Hell, I'm disappointed in my lack of an outside room.

 
At 2/10/07 8:47 pm, Blogger Helena said...

Beautiful pictures. Must have been hard returning home.

Shea stadium......? Not bad. How much were the hotdogs there?

 
At 4/10/07 11:50 pm, Blogger Neil said...

Keithy - That's right, I DID birdie that hole!

Kell - Personally, I was disappointed not to find a white picket fence at the house. I thought it was the law in the States?

Lena - When you're topping the bill, hot dogs are free in the Shea Stadium green room!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home