Saturday, August 25, 2007

Woah... Dude... That's, Like... Woah..

Is it just me or does Apple's iPod shuffle software sometimes totally freak you out with the choices it makes?

When I was at Edinburgh airport the other morning feeling tired and emotional (well, it was VERY early… and I hadn't eaten yet) waiting to board my transatlantic flight, the first song selected by the Totally Freaky Software was Steve Earle singing "Goodbye". If you've never heard it, this is a song so heartbreaking – "I can't remember, if we said goodbye" - that it almost made me want to sprint home and embrace the outside walls of my house whilst whimpering, "I'm SO sorry, I don't know what I was thinking, leaving you all empty and alone for two whole weeks!"

However, just as I was getting ready to start sprinting*, the song finished and on came Paul Weller singing "C'mon Baby Let's Go", an altogether more appropriate sentiment to begin a journey. This choice of song was also freaky because a mere ten hours earlier, I'd been singing it in a rehearsal room with The Signals as we established it as a rockin' new addition to our set. For the forthcoming tour. Sometime in the future.

Song no.3 was John Mayer singing "Belief" which, at first glance, doesn't appear to totally support the whole freaky software hypothesis. But John Mayer grew up in Fairfield, Connecticut, the ultimate destination for my journey and from where I now type these words… at 4.30am… because of the whole freakin' jet-lag nightmare.

Okay, so the bubble on my theory was burst somewhat when the 4th song was something or other by one of The Osmonds (I'd been hoping for "Airport" by The Motors) but still…

*i.e. strolling at a marginally accelerated speed.

6 Comments:

At 25/8/07 3:03 pm, Blogger Peggy said...

You put the Osmonds on your Ipod? On purpose? I mean, I had a thing for them in the early 70's but I was a little girl then.

The randomness of the shuffle on an Ipod is something that needs to be explored in more depth. Bon Voyage!

 
At 26/8/07 2:25 am, Blogger Mo said...

Looking down over the Firth of Forth I would have tried to spot Dunfermline and hoped for Nazareth's version of Joni's "This Flight Tonight" to come on.

My best shuffle surprise recently was the 1976 hit "Mississippi" by Dutch girl country band "Pussycat". How did that get in there?

 
At 26/8/07 1:32 pm, Blogger Lesley said...

I would have been hoping for "Leaving on a Jet Plane" but maybe your IPod wouldn't stoop to those unsubtle depths.

 
At 26/8/07 1:53 pm, Blogger Lesley said...

Or maybe "Daniel" because he's "travelling tonight on a plane,
I can see the red tail lights heading for Spain...."

 
At 27/8/07 3:51 pm, Blogger Kell said...

Personally, I'm quite impressed that you not only have the Osmonds on your iPod but also admit to it. I tell everyone that I am not ashamed of my "Donny days."

I haven't done the iPod shuffle too much. When I do, I keep getting the same album, so I might as well listen to that. Or maybe I just have a lot of Alison Kraus on iPod.

Hope you're having a good time.

 
At 28/8/07 10:27 am, Blogger Stuart Sutherland said...

I'm glad that 'Plane Crash in C' by Rilo Kiley wasn't your third track ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home