Thursday, February 24, 2005

And The Oscar Goes To... Part 3

It’s day 3 in our countdown of predictions for Sunday’s Oscar winners. As with yesterday’s category, I’ve only seen three of the following performances so I’m again relying on the RHM© theory to do most of the work.

Best Actress
I really liked Kate Winslet in “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” and was astonished to discover that this is her fourth Oscar nomination but I reckon she’ll be unlucky again in this bizarre, love-it-or-hate-it film.

I also really liked Catalina Sandino Moreno as a drug mule in the difficult-at-times-to-stomach (gettit?) “Maria Full of Grace”. However, the film’s in Spanish so adios.

I haven’t seen Imelda Staunton as 50s, occasional abortionist Vera Drake in… eh… “Vera Drake” but I’m guessing it’s not a comedy. See yesterday’s comment concerning British contributions.

Annette Bening should have won in 2000 for “American Beauty” but was beaten by Hilary Swank in “Boys Don’t Cry”. The two go head to head again and since I haven’t seen Bening in “Being Julia”, I’m going to concur with the RHM© theory that states that Hilary Swank will triumph for her portrayal as gutsy female boxer Maggie Fitzgerald in “Million Dollar Baby”.

Tomorrow, Best Supporting Actor

1 Comments:

At 2/3/05 4:43 pm, Blogger Donald said...

Neil,
Kate Winslet - annoying & one dimensional.

Catalina Sandino Moreno- Spanish & not famous enough.

Imelda Staunton - older version of Kate Winslet & who really wants to see gritty ,kitchen sink British social commentry - what the British film industry needs is a Greyfriars Boaby remake.

Annette Bening - she's had her chance.

Hilary Swank - she's with Big Clint & Morgan Freeman & should win.

DC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home