Thursday, March 27, 2008

Better Than A Poke In The Eye With A Sharp Stick

Two strange things happened to me today. (Three, if you count turning on the computer and writing this.) For the first time in… God knows how long… I left work, started to drive home and realised I was in a good mood. But, and here’s part one of the strangeness, I had absolutely no idea why. Still don’t.

Something to do with the fact that it was still daylight outside perhaps? Or because it’s nearly Friday and I’ll maybe get away with just having to work one day this weekend? Or because three weeks today I’ll be playing golf with my good friends (Oh Dave, we’ll miss you) whilst enjoying the warm, Florida sun on my back? Who knows.

So, I arrived home, changed into some comfortable “leisurewear” (“jogging” trousers, not leather) and considered my dinner options. I almost rustled up a mouth-watering combination of Campbell’s meatballs and potato waffles but then I realised it’s not 1977 and had some pasta instead. With the Campbell’s meatballs.

Soon enough it was time to grab a good book and lie back in a warm bubble bath of lavender and ylang-ylang – the small flower from the cananga tree of course, NOT the name of a recent acquisition from Korean Brides Monthly magazine. Her name is Ming-Ming.

And that’s when part two of the strangeness happened… although it’s just now dawned on me that I don’t really want to write much more about it because ‘ER’ is about to come on and I need to find out if Abby is going to be okay after her recent fall off the wagon and let’s face it, if she leaves the show then it’s not really going to be worth watching anymore. Unless Maria Bello comes back as lovely Dr. Anna Del Amico. And I suppose Neela has her moments. But now I’m just haivering… as Lesley would say.

Anyway… in short… if you want to find out some of the dark places and thoughts that have occupied my mind in recent months (now that sounds like F.U.N. eh?) read chapter one of ‘A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away’ by Christopher Brookmyre. So striking and close to home that it left me shaking in the warm soapy bubbles. Or was that Ming-Ming?

1 Comments:

At 28/3/08 12:36 pm, Blogger Gordy Mac said...

Hi mate. Good to have you back! 3 weeks...........get in!! Gordy Mac

 

Post a Comment

<< Home