Saturday, December 10, 2005

Well You Can Tell By The Way I Use My Walk...

I walked down the High Street of my old home town today for the first time on a Saturday in a very long time. It’s a surreal place where much has changed since my youth but it doesn’t actually look much different. I always get strange flashbacks and expect to meet people I grew up with who will look exactly the same as they did 25 years ago. Of course I forget that they are now the ones who have the kids and less hair and bulkier frames so I probably passed a ton of them unknowingly today. Although that doesn’t explain how did they didn’t recognise me since I haven’t changed a bit?

Anyway, had today been 25 years ago I would have... cue strange Scooby Doo flashback-type sequence

· Spent the morning flicking between Swap Shop and Tiswas to eye up Sally James and see if anyone wanted to swap their Police concert tickets for, say, one of my siblings? After which I would have…
· Played a table tennis league match with my good pals Al and Robin and then bailed out early before the doubles match so I could…
· Click my way along the pavement in my cool grey boots with the little flashy gold tips around the toes on my way to…
· The York Café for a plate of unfeasibly large and greasy chips and an eyeful of tasty waitresses, having already…
· Roamed the shelves of Bruce’s Record Shop where I probably picked up the latest, fashion-bending Billy Joel or ELO which I would then…
· Play incessantly on my ‘music centre’ all night after having enjoyed a hearty family meal of Campbell’s Meatballs and Findus Crispy Pancakes (curry flavour). Mmmmmmmm...

2 Comments:

At 11/12/05 4:05 pm, Blogger Donald said...

Neil,

Does this explain why you ignored the large gentleman who shoted across the High Street -

" Hey Surlan, I saw yir writin' in that paper, ya big poof.Goat any money - gies it.Aye that's right it's me Big Stevie , di yi no recognise me?"

Dc

 
At 15/12/05 2:48 pm, Blogger Lesley said...

I am so stealing this.(Putting "so" in front of verbs, now whit's that a' aboot?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home